Skip to content
You are viewing our archive | Visit our website

Tags: "Church Alley"

The following items in the Mickleton Community Archive have been tagged with your chosen keyword.

  • Church Alley

    Church Alley runs from Church Lane through to Lawson Square past the Kings Arms garden and at the rear of Ballards Close.
  • Glasshouses at Bell's Ground

    This was at the rear of the King's Arms and extended both sides of Church Alley.
  • Grey Gables - a history

    Church Alley, next to the Vicarage.

    Camera facing N.

    1971 Stonetex Hornton type.  Roof - 'Grey Cotswolds' tiles. 1 s[torey].

    This bungalow was designed by Mr and Mrs W Bowld, long-established market gardeners in Mickleton, and all construction work except the roofing, where another pair of hands was needed, and the plastering, a rare skill if well done, was carried out by Mr Bowld himself.  This house is also built in synthetic material,  (see 'Field House - a history'), in colours carefully chosen to be unobtrusive even while new.

    Plans were passed on 17th January 1970, the site pegged out on 24th January, building began on 7th April and Mr and Mrs Bowld moved in on 30th September 1971.  An article describing the achievement in detail appeared in the Evesham Journal, 28th September 1972.

  • Hidcote Cottage - a history

    On E side of Milking Pail Lane, corner of Church Alley, camera facing SE.

    Once two cottages, made into one in 1809. (Deeds of King's Arms seen in archives of Flower's Brewery at the Shakespeare Centre, Stratford-upon-Avon). ?First half of C18. Stone to window sills, brick above; front, above stone, rendered. Stable attached, stone, tiled roof, brick floor. Main chimney stone, secondary one brick, both rising from stone gable ends. Roof now slate but pitch and gap to coping stones suggest orginially thatched. 2s. 2 - and 3 - light ws, wooden frames single side-hung casement all under shallow brick arch. Fire mark (Birmingham) above stable door, put up 1845 (house deeds).

    It is fairly clear that the original entrance was at the back, from Church Alley. There are windows in the back wall and an old door of heavy planks and battens, hung from brackets in the door post, opened into the room with the main fireplace. But in the 1840's a brick built addition at the back, consisting of a dairy and kitchen with very large stone bake oven, covered in the ground floor. The occupant was the village carrier who fetched the Union bread once a month from Shipston (Vestry Accounts) - could this account for the size of the bread oven! By 1875 the dairy had become a grocer's shop and someone with time on his hands scratched a picture of the Church clock and spire on the window through which he could see it.

    Surrounded by wires - no less than twelve ad the back of the house and eleven at the front, with poles to go with them.

  • Milking Pail

    With the entrance to Church Alley on the left.
  • Milking Pail Cottage (formerly The Milking Pail) -…

    End of Milking Pail Lane on the corner of Church Alley, camera facing SE.

    Cottage, probably C18.  Brick now rendered, slate roof. Part 2s part 3s. Ws 2 - and 3 - light wooden frames, single side-hung casement, all under shallow brick arch. But ground-floor window at front replaced by square bay and space between it and the side wall bricked in during 1930's. Separate stable with loft over faces large barn which adjoins S end of house. This barn, with part Cotswold stone roof, half timber with brick in-filling, looks much older than the house and has splendid roof beams.  It was a blacksmith's, the hearth is still visible at the house end, brick floor.

    This house appears to have been known first as The Milk Maid Inn and one of the old postcards shows traces of the name Milking Pail being overpainted, to replace Milk Maid. The first meeting of the first Friendly Society in Mickleton met there - A Union Society - on 1st June 1787, (County Record Office, Gloucester, ref: p216, IN 4/2) and there planned, amongst more serious business, the annual Club Day which took place at Whitsuntide until 1939. The large room over the beer cellar at the back of the house was probably the meeting room though as numbers increased the Club had to move to the King's Arms.

  • Stoneways - (now known as Blenheim Cottage) - a…

    Corner of Church Lane, W side, and Church alley, facing Vicarage.

    May 1975, camera facing NE.

    Listed: 3/3A III C18.  Stone cottage.  Cotswold stone roof.  2s.  2ws, (casements with lead lights).  Stone chimneys with moulded caps and weathering.

  • The Vicarage - a history

    Corner of Church Alley and Church Lane, W side.

    Camera facing E.

    Listed: 3/2B III.  Plain early C19 ashlar house with cornice and blocking course.  Welsh slate roof.  3 s[torey].  3 ws,  (dh sash with keystones).

    Vicarage rebuilt in 1805 in the time of the Reverend Charles White.  The former vicarage was approached across a shallow ford where the stream crossed the road.  (Vestry Minutes 10.1.1859)

Popular keywords
View all

Strict Standards: Declaration of Extra_Thumbnails_Image::createImage() should be compatible with Omeka_File_Derivative_Image::createImage($old_path, $constraint, $type = NULL) in /home/catmickl/public_html/plugins/ExtraThumbnails/Extra_Thumbnails_Image.php on line 105