Skip to content
You are viewing our archive | Visit our website

Tags: "Club Day"

The following items in the Mickleton Community Archive have been tagged with your chosen keyword.

  • Club Day or Sunday School event

    The man, second from left, identified as Mr Joseph Webb.
  • Club Day parade

    An old postcard showing the parade in Mill Lane. On the reverse has been written: Cirencester Club Parade. Campden Band. Church Service. (Lent by Mrs Bennett)
  • Club Day Parade in Mill Lane

    Information written on the back of the card by the original owner, Mrs Florence Bennett, states that this was the Cirencester Club Parade and the band was from neighbouring town of [Chipping] Campden.
  • Club Day procession with banner

    Taken outside the Butcher's Arms at Whitsun. The man carrrying the banner on the right hand side was identified in the index to the slide collection as Mr Righton, grandfather of Freda Struthers.
  • Club Day sports, 1920s

    Sam Margetts, on the left, is carrying 'the bag'.
  • Milking Pail Cottage (formerly The Milking Pail) -…

    End of Milking Pail Lane on the corner of Church Alley, camera facing SE.

    Cottage, probably C18.  Brick now rendered, slate roof. Part 2s part 3s. Ws 2 - and 3 - light wooden frames, single side-hung casement, all under shallow brick arch. But ground-floor window at front replaced by square bay and space between it and the side wall bricked in during 1930's. Separate stable with loft over faces large barn which adjoins S end of house. This barn, with part Cotswold stone roof, half timber with brick in-filling, looks much older than the house and has splendid roof beams.  It was a blacksmith's, the hearth is still visible at the house end, brick floor.

    This house appears to have been known first as The Milk Maid Inn and one of the old postcards shows traces of the name Milking Pail being overpainted, to replace Milk Maid. The first meeting of the first Friendly Society in Mickleton met there - A Union Society - on 1st June 1787, (County Record Office, Gloucester, ref: p216, IN 4/2) and there planned, amongst more serious business, the annual Club Day which took place at Whitsuntide until 1939. The large room over the beer cellar at the back of the house was probably the meeting room though as numbers increased the Club had to move to the King's Arms.

  • Mr F.Faifax on his horse, Nip

    The index to the original slide collection had the word 'sports'. written after the title. This probably refers to the sports that took place on Club Day.
Popular keywords
View all

Strict Standards: Declaration of Extra_Thumbnails_Image::createImage() should be compatible with Omeka_File_Derivative_Image::createImage($old_path, $constraint, $type = NULL) in /home/catmickl/public_html/plugins/ExtraThumbnails/Extra_Thumbnails_Image.php on line 105