Skip to content
You are viewing our archive | Visit our website

Tags: "Graves"

The following items in the Mickleton Community Archive have been tagged with your chosen keyword.

  • Address by Sir Maxwell Steele Graves to the…

    In this address, dated July 1869, Sir Maxwell states that due to a complete breakdown in his health he would most likely be unable to continue as Treasurer and Secretary to the Feoffees, posts he had held since July 1843. Aware of 'misrepresentations' of his capabilities in these post he gives details of the progress made in educational provision in the village including the building of the two new 'School-rooms' [in Chapel Street] and of the money available for Church repairs.
  • Manor House

    View of the 18th Century wing built by Walwyn Graves (1744-1813). Between 1887and1891 his descendent, Sidney Graves Hamilton, had this demolished and moved, using a specially constructed light railway that ran up the elm avenue, to a site at the top of Glyde Hill where it was re-built as Kiftsgate Court. 

  • Memorial Fountain - a history

    At the Plantation, at Three Ways Corner.

    Camera facing N.

    '1875 by William Burges, an arched niche under a gable, containing medallion portraits and a coat of arms'.  (Verey, David.  Gloucestershire.  I.  Cotswolds.  Penguin Books, 1970).  Stone.  The medallion portraits are of Mrs Frances Bowen-Graves (L) and Sir Maxwell Steele-Graves (R), and the arms are those of the Graves family who owned the Manor.  The memorial was given by Dame Elizabeth Graves.  The inscription on the front of the stone reads:

    The water was brought into this Village in the 1875/ & the Fountain built in memory of Sir J M Steele-Graves Bart/ & of his Daughter Mrs Bowen-Graves/ who lie in the Church-yard of this Parish.

    The long sage of the water to supply to Mickleton is summarised in Story of our Village, Mickleton Women's Institute, Chapter  IV.

    See also Drinking Fountain - a history.

  • Portico on the 18th Century wing of the Manor…

    The 18th Century wing built by Walwyn Graves (1744-1813). Between 1887and1891 his descendent, Sidney Graves Hamilton, had this demolished and moved, using a specially constructed light railway that ran up the elm avenue, to a site at the top of Glyde Hill where it was re-built as Kiftsgate Court.

    The people in this photograph are Sir John and Lady Elizabeth Maxwell Steel Graves (on the balcony) and their daughter, Lady Frances (with parasol).

  • The Requiem Altar, St Lawrence's Church

    The North Aisle with the Armada Chest. The East facing window displays armorial designs of the Graves family. The two sided crucifix dates from 1200 A.D. and was dug up near the south door in 1865. It was thought to have been buried during the Reformation.
Popular keywords
View all

Strict Standards: Declaration of Extra_Thumbnails_Image::createImage() should be compatible with Omeka_File_Derivative_Image::createImage($old_path, $constraint, $type = NULL) in /home/catmickl/public_html/plugins/ExtraThumbnails/Extra_Thumbnails_Image.php on line 105