Skip to content
You are viewing our archive | Visit our website

Tags: "Hidcote Cottage"

The following items in the Mickleton Community Archive have been tagged with your chosen keyword.

  • Hidcote Cottage - a history

    On E side of Milking Pail Lane, corner of Church Alley, camera facing SE.

    Once two cottages, made into one in 1809. (Deeds of King's Arms seen in archives of Flower's Brewery at the Shakespeare Centre, Stratford-upon-Avon). ?First half of C18. Stone to window sills, brick above; front, above stone, rendered. Stable attached, stone, tiled roof, brick floor. Main chimney stone, secondary one brick, both rising from stone gable ends. Roof now slate but pitch and gap to coping stones suggest orginially thatched. 2s. 2 - and 3 - light ws, wooden frames single side-hung casement all under shallow brick arch. Fire mark (Birmingham) above stable door, put up 1845 (house deeds).

    It is fairly clear that the original entrance was at the back, from Church Alley. There are windows in the back wall and an old door of heavy planks and battens, hung from brackets in the door post, opened into the room with the main fireplace. But in the 1840's a brick built addition at the back, consisting of a dairy and kitchen with very large stone bake oven, covered in the ground floor. The occupant was the village carrier who fetched the Union bread once a month from Shipston (Vestry Accounts) - could this account for the size of the bread oven! By 1875 the dairy had become a grocer's shop and someone with time on his hands scratched a picture of the Church clock and spire on the window through which he could see it.

    Surrounded by wires - no less than twelve ad the back of the house and eleven at the front, with poles to go with them.

  • Mickleton Girls, 1918

    Standing on left is Ethel Collett, seated on right is her older sister, Florence [later Mrs Jack Bennett]. The other two are probably Cowley sisters, possibly Annie Beatrice and Alice Rosina. The Cowleys lived at the Milking Pail and the Collet family next door at Hidcote Cottage. Written on the reverse of the photograph [produced as a postcard] is ' To Mother. With best love from Flo and Ethel 1918'. The Collett girls were both in service in Solihull at that time.
  • The Milking Pail and Hidcote Cottage

    The Milking Pail had become a private house by the time this photograph was taken [1960/70s?]
Popular keywords
View all

Strict Standards: Declaration of Extra_Thumbnails_Image::createImage() should be compatible with Omeka_File_Derivative_Image::createImage($old_path, $constraint, $type = NULL) in /home/catmickl/public_html/plugins/ExtraThumbnails/Extra_Thumbnails_Image.php on line 105