Skip to content
You are viewing our archive | Visit our website

Tags: "High Street"

The following items in the Mickleton Community Archive have been tagged with your chosen keyword.

  • Aerial view of David Struthers's garage on…

    This was taken before Mr. Struthers moved his business to the rear of his house, Inverlea, on Back Lane. The photograph shows part of the High Street and the area behind the garage which was later demolished to make way for Alveston Grange.
  • Alveston House - a history

    N side of High Street, next to Mickleton Garage, camera facing W.

    West side wall and front wall of stone, all other walls brick.  Cotswold stone roof, 2s. Bay windows downstairs, sash windows upstairs, centre window blocked with stone. Extensive outbuildings at back.

    In 1890's Wm Lissaman Jnr had a 'steam joinery and moulding mills' there. (He was employed to finish the building of Kiftsgate Court. See Story of Our Village, Mickleton Women's Institute, 1961, p18.) It seems likely that extensive alterations were carried out by him on this house which appears to have been a small farmhouse with land, or orchard, around it well before his time.

  • Back of Terrace (High Street)

    The back of the terrace in the High Street on a snowy day.  The cobbler's shop is on the left of the picture.
  • Bank House

    Bank House, High Street opposite Mickleton Post Office and next door to The Kings Arms Inn and Medford House.
  • Bank House - a history

    High St, S side, between King's Arms and Medford House.

    May 1975 camera facing SE

    Date not known.  LHS looks as though added later.  Modern addition at back in brick. Main house rubble.  Gabled roof, tiled.  One dormer wholly in roof space, with barge boards.  2s.  Windows - RHS 3-light stone mullions, LHS modern bay on ground floor, 4-light with one side-hung casement first floor.  Fire mark (District) on front wall.  Stable and loft at RHS brick and weatherboarding with tiled roof.

    Some of the additions look as though they were made during the 1930's when the house was owned by A C Beck who made the brick-built addition to Medford House.

  • Bells at the King's Arms

    This photograph of David and Marguerite Bell was taken in 1989. David's father, George, was landlord from 1948 until 1976 when David took over. He and Marguerite left in 1992.
  • Big Garden Cottage

    Cottage off  High Street in Big Garden
  • Black & white cottages on High Street.

    The cottage on the left was demolished in about the late 1960s. Miss Emma Bennett, a dressmaker, lived in it during the 1950s. This image appears, originally, to have been on a postcard.
  • Bus Shelter - a history

    At the junction of High Street and Chapel Lane, against wall of Three Ways Hotel.

    Camera facing N.

    Built November 1950 - January 1951.  Stone walls.  Hipped roof, Cotswold stone under stone ridge.  Open front under oak lintel.  Inside is a wooden seat round three sides.

    Architect: Pemberton and Bateman, Chipping Campden.

    Builder: Geo Brotheridge and Co Ltd, Chipping Campden.

    Given to the village by Mr Joseph Webb in memory of his father.  A well designed, well built shelter.  Originally proposed site on Three Ways triangle refused by the police and the surveyor as it would 'obscure the view'.  Unobtrusively sited against stone wall.

  • Butcher's Shop - a history

    Corner of High Street, W side, and Back Lane.

    Camera facing W.

    Formerly the Blacksmith's forge, this part of the building was thatched (old photograph), while the adjoining cottage had a slate roof.  The present window was the open front to the smithy.

     

  • Cars - old and new

    Photo taken on High Street looking towards the Stratford turn at the Butts and junction with Granbrook Lane.
  • Centre of the Village

    View showing the Fountain and Plantation on the left and Myrtle House, the Village Store and the black and white thatched cottages on the right.
Popular keywords
View all

Strict Standards: Declaration of Extra_Thumbnails_Image::createImage() should be compatible with Omeka_File_Derivative_Image::createImage($old_path, $constraint, $type = NULL) in /home/catmickl/public_html/plugins/ExtraThumbnails/Extra_Thumbnails_Image.php on line 105