Skip to content
You are viewing our archive | Visit our website

Tags: "Manor House"

The following items in the Mickleton Community Archive have been tagged with your chosen keyword.

  • Address by Sir Maxwell Steele Graves to theā€¦

    In this address, dated July 1869, Sir Maxwell states that due to a complete breakdown in his health he would most likely be unable to continue as Treasurer and Secretary to the Feoffees, posts he had held since July 1843. Aware of 'misrepresentations' of his capabilities in these post he gives details of the progress made in educational provision in the village including the building of the two new 'School-rooms' [in Chapel Street] and of the money available for Church repairs.
  • Church Lane

    Church lane with the Manor on the left, the wall of Medford House on the right and April Cottage [white cottage] on the right.
  • Kiftsgate Court

    Taken shortly after it was built between 1887 and 1891 by Sydney Graves Hamilton. The house is situated at the top of Glyde Hill and is now famous for its gardens. The portico is clearly visible and was part of the 18th Century wing moved from Mickleton Manor.
  • Kiftsgate Court

    Image is taken from an unsed postcard of Kiftsgate. The impressive 18th Century portico used to form part of the left wing of Mickleton Manor House. Between 1887and1891 Sidney Graves Hamilton, had it moved stone by stone, using a specially constructed light railway that ran up the elm avenue, from the Manor House to the top of Glyde Hill where it was re-built as Kiftsgate Court.

    Kiftsgate is now famous for its garden which is open to the public.

  • Manor House

    External view of Mickleton Manor House

    Listed: 3/4A  II C17 Freestone.  Cotswold stone roof.  Gables with finials.  Stone chimneys with moulded caps and weathering. 2s. Stone mullion and transom ws.  Later alterations.

    'A portion of the original C17 manor house survives in the N wing. It has two three-storey gables, with oval windows and finials.....  On the E is a perhaps even older gabled cross wing to which were added in the C18 two large Georgian wings.  These were taken down in 1891 and rebuilt at Kiftsgate Court, 3/4 mile up the hill to the SE.  The main E and S fronts of the house are therefore C19. (Verey, David.  Gloucestershire I, The Cotswolds.  Penguin Books, 1970).

    For a detailed account of the alteration, see Chapter II, The Story of our Village 1850-1957, Mickleton WI, 1961.

    Demolition order made in 1969 but efforts are still being made to save the Manor.  No further survey attempted here as it will presumably be officially record* in detail before demolition is carried out.

    *By the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments.

  • Manor House

    View of the Manor House showing the lower wall that used to surround it. This was replaced with the present, higher wall in the 1870s. Photograph taken from the garden opposite.
  • Manor House

    View of the 18th Century wing built by Walwyn Graves (1744-1813). Between 1887and1891 his descendent, Sidney Graves Hamilton, had this demolished and moved, using a specially constructed light railway that ran up the elm avenue, to a site at the top of Glyde Hill where it was re-built as Kiftsgate Court. 

  • Manor House and Garden

    Photograph taken from the field known as The Walk.
  • Manor House and Garden

    Now four homes. Photo taken from adjacent field.
  • Manor House in Spring

    Taken from the field known as The Walk.
  • Mickleton Manor Tea Party

    Photo shows villagers who welcomed visiting American ancestors of the Graves Hamilton family to a tea party held at the manor. John Ingram,Eunice Franklin,Margaret Ingram,Marion Devereux,Flo Aston,Freda Slingsby are sitting at the table. The Manor is in the background.

Popular keywords
View all

Strict Standards: Declaration of Extra_Thumbnails_Image::createImage() should be compatible with Omeka_File_Derivative_Image::createImage($old_path, $constraint, $type = NULL) in /home/catmickl/public_html/plugins/ExtraThumbnails/Extra_Thumbnails_Image.php on line 105