Skip to content
You are viewing our archive | Visit our website

Tags: "Milking Pail"

The following items in the Mickleton Community Archive have been tagged with your chosen keyword.

  • Fish delivery at the Milking Pail

    Fish being delivered to the Milking Pail public house by a man with a donkey cart. Stephen Cowley was licensee at the time.
  • Lawson Square

    Lawson Square is off the High Street on the south side and opposite Alveston Grange.  The photo shows The Milking Pail and, on the right, Lamb House.
  • Mickleton Girls, 1918

    Standing on left is Ethel Collett, seated on right is her older sister, Florence [later Mrs Jack Bennett]. The other two are probably Cowley sisters, possibly Annie Beatrice and Alice Rosina. The Cowleys lived at the Milking Pail and the Collet family next door at Hidcote Cottage. Written on the reverse of the photograph [produced as a postcard] is ' To Mother. With best love from Flo and Ethel 1918'. The Collett girls were both in service in Solihull at that time.
  • Milking Pail

    With the entrance to Church Alley on the left.
  • Milking Pail Cottage (formerly The Milking Pail) -…

    End of Milking Pail Lane on the corner of Church Alley, camera facing SE.

    Cottage, probably C18.  Brick now rendered, slate roof. Part 2s part 3s. Ws 2 - and 3 - light wooden frames, single side-hung casement, all under shallow brick arch. But ground-floor window at front replaced by square bay and space between it and the side wall bricked in during 1930's. Separate stable with loft over faces large barn which adjoins S end of house. This barn, with part Cotswold stone roof, half timber with brick in-filling, looks much older than the house and has splendid roof beams.  It was a blacksmith's, the hearth is still visible at the house end, brick floor.

    This house appears to have been known first as The Milk Maid Inn and one of the old postcards shows traces of the name Milking Pail being overpainted, to replace Milk Maid. The first meeting of the first Friendly Society in Mickleton met there - A Union Society - on 1st June 1787, (County Record Office, Gloucester, ref: p216, IN 4/2) and there planned, amongst more serious business, the annual Club Day which took place at Whitsuntide until 1939. The large room over the beer cellar at the back of the house was probably the meeting room though as numbers increased the Club had to move to the King's Arms.

  • The Cowley Family

    Stephen Cowley was licensee of the Milking Pail pub.
  • The Milking Pail

    Shows Stephen Cowley (Licensee) and his family and a cartload of barrels being delivered.
  • The Milking Pail

    An identical photograph to WI_0 which was described in the original index as 'Fish Delivery at the Milking Pail'. The information in the index for this image identifies the man on the donkey cart as Mr. Booker, a rag and bone man. He was collecting rabbit skins for which he paid 3d. Others identified as members of the Cowley family.
  • The Milking Pail and Hidcote Cottage

    The Milking Pail had become a private house by the time this photograph was taken [1960/70s?]
  • The Milking Pail, possibly in 1920s

    Public house at far end of Lawson Square run, at the time of this photograph, by Stephen Cowley.
Popular keywords
View all

Strict Standards: Declaration of Extra_Thumbnails_Image::createImage() should be compatible with Omeka_File_Derivative_Image::createImage($old_path, $constraint, $type = NULL) in /home/catmickl/public_html/plugins/ExtraThumbnails/Extra_Thumbnails_Image.php on line 105