Skip to content
You are viewing our archive | Visit our website

Tags: "Plantation"

The following items in the Mickleton Community Archive have been tagged with your chosen keyword.

  • Barbecue Built for Ox-Roast 1977

    Brick barbecue constructed for ox-roast in the road by the Plantation June 1977.  Behind are houses and the village shop.
  • Carol Service, 1970

    Held at the Plantation.
  • Centre of the Village

    View showing the Fountain and Plantation on the left and Myrtle House, the Village Store and the black and white thatched cottages on the right.
  • Dennis Hall at the Plantation

    Dennis Hall at the Plantation holding a card made by children for the Queen Mother's 90th birthday, 4th August 1990.
  • Fancy Dress at [Victory Memorial ?] Fete, July‚Ķ

    Photograph taken at the Plantation.
  • Fountain on the Plantation, 1961

    A view of the Fountain and Plantation at the junction of High Street and Chapel Lane. The photograph was taken in 1961 after the erection of the sign commemorating the award of the Bledisloe Cup for winning the Best Kept Village competition.
  • Greetings from Mickleton

    Postcard showing five views of Mickleton named as Medford House, High Street, Three Ways Hotel, Old World Cottages and St Lawrence.  The card was never sent but written on the reverse is "June 11th 1957. Visited with Brewood Bell-ringers".
  • High Street and Myrtle House

    View of the High Street with the shop and Myrtle House on the right and the Fountain on the left.
  • High Street with village shop

    View of the High Street, facing east, with the village shop on the right and the Plantation on the left.
  • High Street, Mickleton

    View of the centre of the village on a postcard posted at Lower Quinton on 7th September 1901.
  • Memorial Fountain - a history

    At the Plantation, at Three Ways Corner.

    Camera facing N.

    '1875 by William Burges, an arched niche under a gable, containing medallion portraits and a coat of arms'.  (Verey, David.  Gloucestershire.  I.  Cotswolds.  Penguin Books, 1970).  Stone.  The medallion portraits are of Mrs Frances Bowen-Graves (L) and Sir Maxwell Steele-Graves (R), and the arms are those of the Graves family who owned the Manor.  The memorial was given by Dame Elizabeth Graves.  The inscription on the front of the stone reads:

    The water was brought into this Village in the 1875/ & the Fountain built in memory of Sir J M Steele-Graves Bart/ & of his Daughter Mrs Bowen-Graves/ who lie in the Church-yard of this Parish.

    The long sage of the water to supply to Mickleton is summarised in Story of our Village, Mickleton Women's Institute, Chapter  IV.

    See also Drinking Fountain - a history.

  • Memorial Seat (and Myrtle House) - a history

    On the Plantation at the Three Ways Corner.

    Camera facing NE.

    Among the plans to celebrate the Festival of Britain in 1951, drawn up by a committee formed from representatives of all the organisations in the village, was the provision of seats in various parts of the village.  They were handed over to the Parish Council in November 1951.

    In the background of the photograph is Myrtle House.  Stone gable ends, front rendered, slate roof, hipped.  3 s[torey].  Sash windows.  Sloping roof-lights.  There is a much older cottage at the back but much alteration has taken place since a fire many years ago destroyed the part that was the village shop.

Popular keywords
View all

Strict Standards: Declaration of Extra_Thumbnails_Image::createImage() should be compatible with Omeka_File_Derivative_Image::createImage($old_path, $constraint, $type = NULL) in /home/catmickl/public_html/plugins/ExtraThumbnails/Extra_Thumbnails_Image.php on line 105