Skip to content
You are viewing our archive | Visit our website

Tags: "blacksmiths"

The following items in the Mickleton Community Archive have been tagged with your chosen keyword.

  • Butcher's Shop - a history

    Corner of High Street, W side, and Back Lane.

    Camera facing W.

    Formerly the Blacksmith's forge, this part of the building was thatched (old photograph), while the adjoining cottage had a slate roof.  The present window was the open front to the smithy.

     

  • Milking Pail Cottage (formerly The Milking Pail) -…

    End of Milking Pail Lane on the corner of Church Alley, camera facing SE.

    Cottage, probably C18.  Brick now rendered, slate roof. Part 2s part 3s. Ws 2 - and 3 - light wooden frames, single side-hung casement, all under shallow brick arch. But ground-floor window at front replaced by square bay and space between it and the side wall bricked in during 1930's. Separate stable with loft over faces large barn which adjoins S end of house. This barn, with part Cotswold stone roof, half timber with brick in-filling, looks much older than the house and has splendid roof beams.  It was a blacksmith's, the hearth is still visible at the house end, brick floor.

    This house appears to have been known first as The Milk Maid Inn and one of the old postcards shows traces of the name Milking Pail being overpainted, to replace Milk Maid. The first meeting of the first Friendly Society in Mickleton met there - A Union Society - on 1st June 1787, (County Record Office, Gloucester, ref: p216, IN 4/2) and there planned, amongst more serious business, the annual Club Day which took place at Whitsuntide until 1939. The large room over the beer cellar at the back of the house was probably the meeting room though as numbers increased the Club had to move to the King's Arms.

  • The Forge - a history

    Corner of Back Lane and High Street, by Butcher's Shop.

    Camera facing N.

    Cottage.  Brick.  Slate roof.  2 s[torey]. 3-light windows, wooden frames, centre light a side hung casement, all except one under shallow brick arch.  Wash-house attached to part of cottage next to butcher's shop, fronting on High Street.

    A dilapidated three storey, one-room wide cottage which stood at the back of the smith was rebuilt in the 1930's to make up this one cottage.

  • View of High Street

    Looking east on High Street, at the junction with Back Lane, with the blacksmith's shop (now a butcher's shop) and Hollymount on the left and White Cottage on the right. The name of the driver of the pony and trap is not known.
  • Village blacksmith

    The village smithy with blacksmith, Mr Bryan, standing outside. Photograph taken in the 1920s. The premises later became a butcher's shop.
Popular keywords
View all

Strict Standards: Declaration of Extra_Thumbnails_Image::createImage() should be compatible with Omeka_File_Derivative_Image::createImage($old_path, $constraint, $type = NULL) in /home/catmickl/public_html/plugins/ExtraThumbnails/Extra_Thumbnails_Image.php on line 105